Heavy Handed

This composite image is a self portrait intended to show my 'muses' and general influences. The background is a manipulated photo I took of a broken window with the words of T. S. Eliot's The Hollow Men superimposed overtop. Both the photo and the poem are favourites of mine, and works that I try to emulate. I wore my top hat and black clothing to give an air of mystery to the piece. I replaced my irises with camera lenses to represent my love of photography, and how I sometimes see the world through a camera. My canine teeth are the nibs of calligraphy pens to symbolize calligraphy, writing, and general typography. I am a guitar player, and connect to many things through music, so I decided to connect my head to my body using the neck of my guitar. I have a fascination with six-fingered hands. For me, the sixth finger represents extra ability, somewhat similar to a sixth sense. I've often thought it would be useful to have extra fingers while I'm playing guitar. I wanted to make myself stand out in this portrait, but in a subtle way, with as much realistic editind as possible. All of the surreal elements have gone unnoticed by one person or another at first glance, but everyone in unnerved from the start.
Basketball Posters
These are two promotional posters for Girl's Basketball at Holy Cross. They were a collaboration created for the PH Classic, a basketball tournment held at Holy Cross that fundraises for cancer research. Each student in my grade 12 com tech class photographed a player using studio lighting and manual focus on a Nikon D5000. I used F5.6, 1/125 second shutter speed and ISO200. After taking the photograph, I imported it into Photoshop CS3, keyed out most of the blue screen and close cropped and blurred the rest. I then arranged the template around my player.
Certificate: Design Exchange
I designed this certificate for the Sears Canadain High School Design Competition 2012 as part of the curriculum in my Tech Design course. With the exception of the logos and the graph paper in the background, I made everything in Photoshop CS3. I wanted to make something a little different from the standard certificate. The needle and typographic artwork symbolize the different aspects of the Design Exchange contest (industrial design, fashion design, graphic design, and architectural/ interior design) intergrated within the certificate itself. I made the colour scheme simples, mostly gray and white.



No comments:
Post a Comment